About the Degree
General Education Requirements
The Criminal Justice program will prepare you for careers in law enforcement, investigation, corrections, courts, private security, juvenile justice, or related opportunities in the legal field. You will gain an understanding of our American legal and justice system, including the interrelationship of the police, courts, the correctional system, and the role the Constitution plays in the criminal justice system.
+This program can be completed fully online.
Graduates of the Criminal Justice program will be able to:
- describe methods social scientists use to research, analyze, interpret and report data in the field of criminal justice;
- demonstrate an understanding of the criminal justice system including the role the Constitution and the interrelationships of the police, courts, and correctional system;
- exhibit professional conduct in a criminal justice organization including legal and ethical responsibilities, roles and boundaries;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates, including competency in writing, information literacy, oral communication, and quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways for educational and career development in the student's field of study.
The Criminal Justice program is great for you if:
- you care about making a difference for others and serving your community;
- you are interested in working with diverse groups of people and helping others who are experiencing difficult situations;
- you are prepared for a rigorous career and can effectively manage stressful situations;
- you are willing to work unusual shift hours and overtime on a regular basis; and
- you are willing to undergo criminal background checks, and sometimes both physical and psychological testing, when applying for some positions in this field.
Key information and advice for students in the Criminal Justice program:
- Entry-level jobs in corrections and police work increasingly require an associate's degree.
- Students pursuing careers working directly with the public will benefit by using electives for coursework in substance abuse and human services.
- Professional Field Experience gives students practical experience in the workplace and can be a connection to employment in the criminal justice field.
- Many employers require at least a bachelor's degree for job promotion.
- Popular options for bachelor's programs include psychology, sociology, business, professional studies, and foreign language.
- Private sector security and investigative jobs require the same education levels and unusual hours as government agencies.
- All police and corrections agencies send officers to their academies for one to six months of further training to learn details of the job.
- A felony conviction may prevent employment in a criminal justice job. Some agencies will accept a misdemeanor conviction. Students should check with the agency they want to work with for its policy on prior convictions.
The Criminal Justice program prepares you for careers such as:
- Municipal Police Officer
- County Deputy Sheriff
- Corrections Officer
- Transportation Security Officer
- Victim Advocate
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal (additional training required)
- Private Industry Loss Prevention
- Emergency Planner
- Law Enforcement Communications Assistant
Job outlook in Criminal Justice in the state of Vermont:
|Correctional Officers & Jailers
|Police & Sheriff's Patrol Officers
|Legal Assistants or Paralegals
Source: Vermont Department of Labor, http://www.vtlmi.info/oic.cfm
The Vermont State Colleges System's (VSCS) Direct Admissions program gives CCV students guaranteed transfer admission to Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, or Vermont Tech. Direct Admissions students follow course maps that ensure classes taken apply to both their bachelor and CCV associate degree, saving them time and money.
CCV also has transfer agreements with 4-year colleges and universities throughout Vermont. Visit our transfer page for additional information and to view all of our transfer maps on one Excel spreadsheet.