About the Degree
General Education Requirements
The Hospitality & Tourism program prepares you for entry-level positions in the travel services and hospitality industry within the local and global marketplace. In this interdisciplinary program, global and sustainable perspectives will be emphasized. You will develop skills in communication, computer systems, customer and guest services, marketing, human relations, geography, supervision, and management.
Graduates of the Hospitality & Tourism program will be able to:
- describe the geographic, economic, and cultural factors of tourism and how they influence hospitality, leisure, travel, sustainability, and recreational activities;
- demonstrate strong interpersonal skills pertaining to customer and guest services;
- apply principles of hospitality, marketing and sales to business situations through case studies, simulation, or internships;
- develop a professional starter ePortfolio that documents a critical understanding of principles in human resources, leadership, visual literacy, computer systems, and decision-making as applied to the business of leisure;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates including competency in critical thinking, writing, information literacy, oral communication, and quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways for educational and career development in the student’s field of study.
The Hospitality & Tourism program is great for you if:
- you are interested in working in the service industry;
- you enjoy working in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- you want to provide top-quality service for clients and guests;
- you want to learn more about the world and other cultures;
- you are interested in a career in resorts, hotels, restaurants, a sporting industry, event management, or the ski industry; and
- you would like to pursue a bachelor’s degree in business, tourism, event management, or sport management.
Key information and advice for students in Hospitality &Tourism:
- If you are now working in the field, you may be able to earn life experience credit for courses in this program through Assessment of Prior Learning.
- Hospitality & Tourism provides opportunities for students to get out into the industry to network and meet professionals.
- Students may choose focus areas within the hospitality industry such as event management, tourism, or hotel and restaurant management.
- The Hospitality & Tourism program includes a study-away experience.
The Hospitality & Tourism program prepares you for careers such as:
- Front Desk Clerk
- Travel Guide
- Hotel Manager
- Restaurant Manager
Job outlook for Hospitality & Tourism in the state of Vermont:
|Meeting and Convention Planner
Source: Vermont Department of Labor, http://www.vtlmi.info/oic.cfm
For more information about special transfer agreements between CCV and other colleges, visit our transfer page.
Visit www.vtcolleges.org to learn about additional bachelor degree options in Vermont.