About the Degree
General Education Requirements
CCV’s Information Technology program prepares students for the exciting and ever-changing field of information technology. Technology plays a vital role in all aspects of 21st century life. Organizations need skilled technicians to install, manage, and adapt complex information networks. As companies continue to expand their information systems, IT workers keep communications running smoothly and help to resolve complicated problems. Information technology professionals find employment in a wide array of industries. Our curriculum provides students with foundational skills in networking, programming, and operating systems. Students will build depth of knowledge in at least one of three focus area options: networking, programming, or website development. The program also includes additional elective credits that may be used to explore other facets of this broad field and prepare you for important industry certifications.
+ This program can be completed fully online.
Graduates of the Information Technology program will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and skills that meet industry standards;
- use a computer programming language to solve problems and implement appropriate solutions;
- upgrade, maintain, and install software applications with emphasis on problem anticipation and user support;
- prepare a plan for implementing a network solution in a small business setting;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates, including competency in writing, information literacy, oral communication, quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways for educational and career development in the student’s field of study.
The Information Technology program is great for you if:
- you enjoy working with programming and computer systems;
- you are looking for a career in user support, software programming, network administration or web development;
- you plan to matriculate to an IT-related bachelor’s degree;
- you have good customer service and communication skills; and
- you are prepared to work in a dynamic and changing work environment.
Key information and advice for students in the Information Technology program:
- The Information Technology degree provides practical experience with networks and information systems.
- This program provides skills necessary to be a computer support specialist in a small business or any environment that uses computers in its daily operations.
- This program can be completed entirely online.
- Students may elect to prepare for various CompTIA certification exams such as IT Fundamentals, A+, Net+, Security+, Linux+, and Server+ .
- This program fits easily into most IT-related bachelor’s degrees and allows for more specialization in IT at the 3rd and 4th year levels.
The Information Technology program prepares you for careers such as:
- Computer Support Specialist
- Assistant Network Administrator
- Web Developer
Job outlook in Information Technology in the state of Vermont:
Projected Growth (10 Yrs)
|Computer Support Specialist
|Computer Security Specialist
Source: Vermont Department of Labor http://www.vtlmi.info/index.cfm
The Vermont State Colleges System’s (VSCS) Direct Admissions program gives CCV students guaranteed transfer admission to Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, or Vermont Tech. Direct Admissions students follow course maps that ensure classes taken apply to both their bachelor and CCV associate degree, saving them time and money.
CCV also has transfer agreements with 4-year colleges and universities throughout Vermont. Visit our transfer page for additional information and to view all of our transfer maps on one Excel spreadsheet.