About the Degree
General Education Requirements
CCV's associate of science degree in Health Science provides a flexible pathway for students interested in allied health occupations as well as those preparing for advanced study in biological or health sciences. The program is comprised of core coursework in health care and human biology. Core courses are supplemented with student elective choices from a variety of health and science related options. The program easily accommodates many of CCV's certificate offerings.
Health Science Semester Map
Students in the Health Science degree program may choose to pursue one or more of the following certificates while obtaining their degree:
+This program can be completed fully online.
Important Immunization Information
Health program students are required by the State of Vermont to provide documentation of immunizations
Graduates of the Health Science program will be able to:
- analyze and discuss concepts of health, wellness, and disease utilizing knowledge of human anatomy & physiology;
- discuss current trends and challenges related to contemporary health care;
- demonstrate an awareness of best-practices and professional conduct within healthcare settings;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates, including competency in writing, information literacy, oral communication, quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways and demonstrate preparedness for educational and career development in the student's field of study.
The Health Science program is great for you if:
- you are interested in a healthcare career;
- you plan to pursue continued education in a health related field;
- you enjoy being part of an integrated team of healthcare professionals;
- you would like to attain a degree while or after completing one of CCV's health related certificate programs;
- you have good computer, math, science, reading, writing, and communication skills; and
- you wish to work in a field which strives to improve the lives of others.
Key information and advice for students in Health Science:
- The Health Science degree program will require students to provide proof of current immunizations.
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assisting courses are possible electives in the health science degree. These courses require students to complete a criminal background check prior to registration. Students who have a felony conviction may be prevented from participating in these courses.
- While students may complete this degree without taking courses requiring a background check, students should be aware that a felony conviction may prevent employment in some health related occupations.
- CCV has degree pathways from this program to select programs at 4-year colleges and universities. Visit ccv.edu/transfer for more information.
The Health Science program prepares you for careers such as:
- Health Technician
- Community Health Worker
- Medical Assistant
- Nurse (requires further education)
- Medical Laboratory Technician (requires further education)
Job outlook for Health Science in the state of Vermont:
For up to date Vermont labor market information, including salary information and growth projections, please visit the Economic and Labor Market Information at the Vermont Department of Labor Website.
CCV programs are designed to make transfer to a bachelor's degree program seamless, easy, and affordable for graduates. CCV has agreements and 2+2 transfer pathways within the Vermont State College System (VSCS) and other institutions in Vermont and the region. Early planning can help you follow a clear transfer path.
Visit our transfer page for additional information.