About the Degree
General Education Requirements
In the Early Childhood Education (ECE) program, you will develop knowledge, skills, and experience to help you work effectively with young children (aged birth to eight) and families. These skills are based on industry standards and professional competencies in child development, family and community, teaching and learning, health and safety, professionalism, and program organization.
+This program can be completed fully online.
Graduates of the Early Childhood Education program will be able to:
- practice and model effective communication, observation strategies, and partnerships with children and their families;
- apply developmentally appropriate and professionally accepted practices used in childcare or school settings which promote inclusion of children with diverse abilities;
- employ strategies to maintain a safe, healthy, and nurturing learning environment in childcare and school settings;
- exhibit professional conduct in an early childhood education or school setting including legal and ethical responsibilities, roles, and boundaries;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates, including competency in writing, information literacy, oral communication, and quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways and demonstrate preparedness for educational and career development in the student’s field of study.
The Early Childhood Education program is great for you if:
- you currently work or have experience working with children;
- you are interested in the development of children;
- you enjoy interpersonal communication and working with a wide variety of people;
- you care about making a difference for children and families in your community;
- you want to gain theoretical background and practical experience in the field of education and early education; and
- you are willing to maintain state childcare licensing requirements, pursue continuing education classes, or earn industry recognized certificates.
Key information and advice for students in the Early Childhood Education program:
- The ECE associate degree integrates with the requirements for Vermont’s Early Childhood Career Ladder –Level IIIB. Coursework in the degree also supports the Program Director for Early Childhood and Afterschool Programs Credential and the Vermont Child Care Apprenticeship program.
- The Childcare certificate is designed to fit inside the ECE degree, providing a stepping-stone to greater training and compensation. The Childcare certificate aligns with the Vermont’s Early Childhood Career Ladder - Level IIIA.
- gives students practical experience in the workplace and can be a connection to employment in the early childhood education field.
- Students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in early childhood or elementary education are encouraged to identify transfer options early to optimize course choices.
The Early Childhood Education program prepares you for careers such as:
- Registered Home Childcare Provider
- Associate Teacher in licensed childcare program
- Paraprofessional or Teaching Assistant
- Staff in afterschool program
- Head Start Home Visitor or Teacher (bachelor degree may be required)
- Elementary School Teacher (bachelor degree required)
Job outlook in Early Childhood Education in the state of Vermont:
For up to date Vermont labor market information, including salary information and growth projections, please visit the Economic and Labor Market Information at the Vermont Department of Labor Website: http://www.vtlmi.info/
The Vermont State Colleges System’s (VSCS) Direct Admissions program gives CCV students guaranteed transfer admission to Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, or Vermont Tech. Direct Admissions students follow course maps that ensure classes taken apply to both their bachelor and CCV associate degree, saving them time and money.
CCV also has transfer agreements with 4-year colleges and universities throughout Vermont. Visit our transfer page for additional information and to view all of our transfer maps on one Excel spreadsheet.