About the Degree
General Education Requirements
Rapid evolution of computers is changing the world around us, including the way we do business, educate ourselves, and communicate with each other. The Computer Systems Management program gives you the skills necessary to be a computer administrator in a small business or any environment that uses computers in its daily operations. You will be exposed to a wide variety of computer applications software, develop an understanding of network environments, and build technical skills to maintain hardware and software systems. Upon completion of the program, you will be prepared for the CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification exams.
Graduates of the Computer Systems Management program will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and skills that meet industry standards and CompTIA A+ certification requirements in the use of computer hardware and operating systems technology;
- demonstrate proficiency with application software (word processing, spreadsheets, web page design, presentation programs) to effectively communicate information in a professional setting;
- use a computer programming language to solve problems in a work place setting and implement appropriate solutions;
- upgrade, repair, and install hardware and software applications with emphasis on problem anticipation and user support;
- prepare a plan for implementing a local area network in a small business setting;
- demonstrate academic skills required of all CCV graduates, including competency in writing, information literacy, oral communication, quantitative reasoning; and
- explore pathways for educational and career development in the student’s field of study.
The Computer Systems Management program is great for you if:
- you enjoy working with computers and systems software;
- you are looking for a career in user support;
- you want to learn a little bit about a broad range of computer topics;
- you have good customer service and communication skills; and
- you are prepared to work in a dynamic and changing work environment.
Key information and advice for students in the Computer Systems Management program:
- The Computer Systems Management degree provides practical experience with networks and business information systems.
- This program provides skills necessary to be a computer administrator in a small business or any environment that uses computers in its daily operations.
- This program can be completed entirely online with the exception of one classroom meeting for Concepts of PC Hardware.
- Students will be prepared for A+, Net+, and Security+ certification exams.
- This program is often a better match than Network Administration for students who plan to go on to a bachelor’s degree.
- This program fits easily into most IT-related bachelor’s degrees and allows for more specialization in IT at the 3rd and 4th year levels.
The Computer Systems Management program prepares you for careers such as:
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer Security Specialist
- Software Analyst
Job outlook in Computer Systems Management in the state of Vermont:
Projected Growth (10 Yrs)
|Computer Support Specialist
|Computer Security Specialist
Source: Vermont Department of Labor http://www.vtlmi.info/index.cfm
For more information about special transfer agreements between CCV and other colleges, visit our transfer page.
Visit www.vtcolleges.org to learn about additional bachelor degree options in Vermont.